Table of Contents
In this lesson, we’ll learn 10 of the most common typical English word pairings. These are word pairs or groupings that are frequently used together. Learning them will help you speak and write English more naturally. We’ll teach you how they work in sentences with examples to help you apply these combinations appropriately in conversations or writing. This lesson will help you improve your language abilities by focusing on these everyday word pairs, whether you’re learning English or wish to sound more like a native speaker.
Most Common Collocations List
- Make a decision
- Take a chance
- Keep a secret
- Break the news
- Miss the bus
- Pay attention
- Take a shower
- Catch someone’s eye
- Give advice
- Break the ice
- Take a break
- Keep in touch
Common Collocations With Examples
Make a decision
- She couldn’t decide between the two dresses for the party.
- It’s time to decide your career path.
- The committee will decide on the budget tomorrow.
Take a chance
- He decided to take a chance and invest in the startup.
- Sometimes, you need to take a chance to achieve your goals.
- I’m not sure if it will work, but I’ll take a chance and try it.
Keep a secret
- Can you keep a secret? I have some exciting news to share.
- She promised to keep my secret about the surprise party.
- It’s essential to trust someone who can keep a secret.
Break the news
- It’s never easy to break the news of a loved one’s passing.
- He had to break the news to his team that the project was canceled.
- She was nervous about breaking the news of her resignation to her boss.
Catch someone’s eye
- The colorful artwork in the gallery caught my eye immediately.
- Her talent and charisma always catch people’s eyes at parties.
- The shiny new car in the showroom caught his eye.
- Please pay attention during the safety briefing on the flight.
- It’s important to pay attention in class to understand the material.
- She didn’t pay attention to the road, which led to an accident.
Take a break
- Let’s take a break and grab some coffee before we continue working.
- After studying for hours, she needed to take a break and relax.
- It’s essential to take short breaks during a long road trip.
Miss the bus
- I woke up late and missed the bus to work.
- If you don’t hurry, you’ll miss the bus to the airport.
- I can’t believe I missed the bus to the concert.
- She always gives me excellent advice when I’m feeling lost.
- Can you give me some advice on how to improve my cooking?
- It’s important to give advice that is helpful and constructive.
Take a shower
- I like to take a shower in the morning to wake up.
- After a long workout, it feels refreshing to take a shower.
- She takes a quick shower before going to bed.
Break the ice
- At the networking event, he tried to break the ice by telling a joke.
- Breaking the ice with new colleagues can be challenging but necessary.
- Playing a simple game can help break the ice at a social gathering.
Keep in touch
- Even though we moved to different cities, we’ve managed to keep in touch.
- Don’t forget to keep in touch with your friends while you’re on vacation.
- Technology has made it easier than ever to keep in touch with loved ones.
Common Collocations | Picture
Download the Complete PDF For This Lesson