Table of Contents
This informative lesson is meant to help English learners, from beginners to advanced speakers, improve their understanding and use of important bathroom vocabulary. In this lesson, you will learn about many kinds of bathroom vocabulary, their meanings, and practical examples of how you can use them in everyday conversations.
Bathroom accessories are simple items that may make a significant difference in your bathroom. They’re useful and attractive things that will help you maintain your bathroom neat and tidy. Consider towel racks to hang your towels, soap dispensers to keep your sink area clean, toothbrush holders, and shower curtains to dress up your shower or bath area. Bath mats and shower caddies are also available to keep your feet warm and comfortable after a shower. These accessories not only keep your bathroom organized; they also provide a personal touch, whether you prefer a modern or traditional design. So it’s the little things that may make your bathroom feel warm and inviting.
Bathroom Accessories Names
- Clothes peg (U.K) / Clothespin (U.S)
- Trash bag
- Toilet paper
- Bath mat
- Shaving cream
- Electric razor
- Washing machine
- Laundry basket
- Hair dryer
- Trash can
- Laundry detergent
- Measuring jug
- Washing powder (U.K) / Detergent (U.S)
- Bath toys
Bathroom Vocabulary with Useful Images
Useful Items in The Bathroom with Examples
A measuring jug is a container used to measure liquids. It typically has markings on the side to indicate the volume of the liquid it holds.
- Example: “I need a measuring jug to accurately pour one cup of water for this recipe.”
Toothpaste is a gel or paste used for cleaning teeth.
- Example: “Don’t forget to brush your teeth with toothpaste every morning and night for good oral hygiene.”
A toothbrush is a tool with bristles used for brushing teeth.
- Example: “I recommend replacing your toothbrush every three months for effective dental care.”
Soap is a cleaning agent that comes in various forms, including bars, liquid, or foam.
- Example: “Please pass me the soap so I can wash my hands.”
These are devices used for securing clothes to a clothesline to dry them.
- Example: “Hang the wet clothes on the clothesline using clothes pegs to let them dry in the sun.”
A hanger is a device used to hang clothes in a closet or on a hook.
- Example: “I’ll hang my dress on this hanger so it doesn’t get wrinkled.”
A hairdryer is an electrical appliance used to dry and style hair.
- Example: “After washing your hair, use the hair dryer to speed up the drying process.”
Shampoo is a liquid used to clean hair.
- Example: “I prefer using a shampoo that contains natural ingredients for healthier hair.”
Polish can refer to a substance used to make items shiny or to a type of nail polish.
- Example 1: “Let’s use some furniture polish to make the wooden table shine.”
Example 2: “I’m going to apply a coat of red nail polish.”
A brush is a tool with bristles used for various purposes, such as cleaning or grooming.
- Example: “Use a brush to remove the dust from the bookshelves.”
Toilet paper is a paper product used for personal hygiene in the bathroom.
- Example: “Make sure there’s enough toilet paper in the bathroom before we have guests over.”
A towel is a cloth used for drying the body or hands.
- Example: “I’ll grab a clean towel from the closet after my shower.”
A clothesline is a cord or wire used to hang clothes for drying.
- Example: “The clothesline is a convenient way to air-dry your laundry on a sunny day.”
A shower is a bathing device that sprays water from above to wash the body.
- Example: “I love taking a hot shower in the morning to wake up.”
A bathtub is a large container for bathing that is typically filled with water.
- Example: “I enjoy taking long baths in the bathtub to relax after a tiring day.”
Laundry detergent is a cleaning product used for washing clothes.
- Example: “Be sure to use the recommended amount of laundry detergent for a full load of laundry.”
A bucket is a container with a handle used for carrying or holding water or other items.
- Example: “Fill the bucket with water to mop the kitchen floor.”
A mop is a cleaning tool with a handle and a head for cleaning floors.
- Example: “Use the mop to clean up any spills on the kitchen floor.”
Soapy water is water mixed with soap, often used for cleaning.
- Example: “I made a solution of soapy water to wash the windows.”
This is a cleaning agent used for washing clothes.
- Example: “Which washing powder or detergent do you use for your laundry?”
A trash bag is a plastic or paper bag used for holding garbage.
- Example: “We need to replace the trash bag in the kitchen bin; it’s full.”
A trash can is a container for holding garbage or waste.
- Example: “Please throw your used tissues in the trash can.”
A sink is a basin used for washing hands, dishes, and other items.
- Example: “I’m going to wash the dishes in the kitchen sink.”
A toilet is a fixture used for disposing of bodily waste.
- Example: “Make sure to flush the toilet after using it.”
A washing machine is an appliance used for washing clothes.
- Example: “I need to run the washing machine to clean our clothes.”
A laundry basket is a container for holding dirty laundry.
- Example: “Put your dirty clothes in the laundry basket, and I’ll wash them later.”
A razor is a tool used for shaving facial or body hair.
- Example: “I need to buy a new razor blade; this one is getting dull.”
An electric razor is a motorized device used for shaving.
- Example: “Some people prefer using an electric razor for a quick and smooth shave.”
Shaving cream is a product used to provide lubrication and protection during shaving.
- Example: “Apply a thin layer of shaving cream before using the razor for a comfortable shave.”
Mouthwash is a liquid used for rinsing and freshening the mouth.
- Example: “Using mouthwash after brushing your teeth can help keep your breath fresh.”
A Q-tip, also known as a cotton swab, is a small stick with cotton at each end, used for various tasks, including cleaning ears.
- Example: “Be gentle when using a Q-tip to clean your ears to avoid any injury.”
A hair brush is a tool used for grooming and detangling hair.
- Example: “I use a hair brush to style my hair in the morning.”
A comb is a grooming tool with teeth or bristles used for styling and detangling hair.
- Example: “I prefer using a comb to part my hair neatly.”
Difference Between A Comb and A Hairbrush
A comb is a tool with teeth or prongs used for detangling and parting hair, while a hairbrush is a tool with bristles used for detangling, styling, and smoothing hair. The choice between them depends on your hair type and styling needs. Combs are good for fine or straight hair, while hairbrushes are versatile and work well with various hair types.
A cleanser is a skin care product used to clean the face or body.
- Example: “Apply a facial cleanser to remove dirt and makeup from your skin.”
A scale is a device used for measuring weight.
- Example: “I need to check my weight, so I’ll step on the scale.”
Tissues are soft, disposable paper products used for various purposes, including wiping the nose.
- Example: “Pass me a tissue; I have a runny nose.”
Bath toys are playthings designed for use in the bathtub.
- Example: “Children enjoy playing with bath toys during their bath time.”
A faucet is a device that controls the flow of water in sinks and showers.
- Example: “Turn on the faucet to get hot water for your shower.”
A mirror is a reflective surface used for looking at one’s reflection.
- Example: “I’m going to check my appearance in the mirror before leaving the house.”
A bath mat is a mat placed in the bathroom to absorb water and provide a non-slip surface.
- Example: “Step on the bath mat to avoid slipping when you get out of the shower.”